advice

Average

12:00:00 AM

"You are the average of the five people you're always with."
Difficult choices
(image from the internet)
My mentor dropped that bomb on me over one of our learning lunches (well, I was - and still am - doing all the learning, and he's the one teaching, haha!). He was quoting entrepreneur and bestselling author Jim Rohn, and almost immediately, my mind went into overdrive, figuring out who I was always with.

Okay, so I'm really a lone wolf most of the time, but there are people in my life whom I consider my "constants." One of them is my BFF, Joandrea. We don't see each other often, but we do talk a lot over the phone so we don't really miss critical updates on each other's lives. Haha! She is my rock. And the best thing about her is she's not afraid to tell me when I'm wrong. :)

Not to brag, but I'm in very good company. I'm almost always with my boss/mentor/friend, Lendro. He takes time to really teach me things, and he's the reason why I'm able to feed myself as a freelancer. :) Aside from him, I spend a lot of time with/talking to my other mentors - two very successful men who dominate in their respective fields.

I've edited some people out, though, some of whom are my friends. They're a lot of fun to hang out with, but they're not exactly positive influences.  I want to make something of myself, to make my mother proud, and the fact of the matter is, not everyone in my life will help me get there. Don't get me wrong: if any of these people I've "edited out" will ever need my help, all they have to do is ask. But I have to use a bigger chunk of my time for me, to make me better.

Selfish? Yes. But it's a legitimate selfishness and I'm not going to apologize for it.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)