blog

HFT / Back to the playground

12:00:00 AM

I started the year with a trip: On January 1st, I hopped on a plane bound for Cebu, because my dear friend Chari was getting married on the 4th. But because no trip to Cebu would be complete without a side trip to Dumaguete, I spent a total of 12 days out of town. I'm planning on doing that every year, haha!

Being away for that long meant that my workout regimen (jiu-jitsu, knife-fighting, and warrior conditioning) got interrupted. Although I stayed active with activities like canyoneering and hiking, my body still craved an actual workout. So I laced up my trusty running shoes to go for a nice early evening run along Rizal Boulevard.

I don't know if it's just me, but the boulevard seems to get a little shorter with each visit, so I ran the same path six times over. I did some planks on one of the benches there, too. I was okay with that workout, but as I walked back to my hostel, I passed by the playground in front of Dumaguete Cathedral and I saw MONKEY BARS!
Back to my childhood!
My instructor for Libre Fighting, Dr. Sixto Carlos, gave me a goal - to be able to do pull-ups! I can do about three to four chin-ups (the one with the underhand grip), but I can't do a single pull-up (the one with the overhand grip). Although the latter is also technically a back exercise, it also activates the biceps and the pecs. If I want a stronger core, I have to be able to do pull-ups.

Knowing full well that I can't do pull-ups yet, I did three sets of four chin-ups on the monkey bars. Before I walked home, however, I tried to do a pull-up, and I only managed to do half of one (which is a nicer way of saying, "I failed miserably at the attempt"). Haha! I went back after a couple of days to try again, and the results were the same.

I'm back in the city now, and I'm STILL working on that goal. Wish me luck!

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)