advice

HFT / Neglect leads to pain

12:00:00 AM

Okay, I've been writing and publishing blog post after blog post covering overall health and fitness every Tuesday for over a year now. I've written about running, yoga, boxing, jiu-jitsu, strength training, recovery, food, diet, and even the stomach flu! But it's only now that I've realized that I haven't written about DENTAL HEALTH. And my wake-up call was an extremely painful one.

When I finally manage to peel myself away from my bed every morning, the first thing I do is head to the kitchen for two tall glasses of cold water. One random Sunday in January, I did just that, but there was something different: I felt a sharp pain on one of my molars when the cold water swirled inside my mouth.
Oh, the horror
(image from the internet)
I tried to ignore it, dismissing it for morning sensitivity or something of the sort. I went on with my day, but with every bite of food and every sip of hot and cold drinks, I felt the same sharp pain. By nighttime, the pain had become constant, so I decided that I was going to the dentist the next day. My cousin-in-law, Ate Paula, is a dentist, so I messaged her to set an appointment.

Her clinic is in Malabon, and although it was far, I braved the trip. I haven't seen her and my favorite auntie, Ruth, and my other cousins in a while so I figured I owed them a visit. Also, I'm generally distrustful of dentists because I've been treated by some who keep selling me vanity services I don't really need. And then of course, she's my cousin-in-law, so I wanted to give her business. :)

So yeah, we started with cleaning, and I could almost hear my teeth and gums thanking me for it. HAHA! That was absolutely painless, and we were done in a matter of minutes. But because of years of neglect for my dental health, there was no way I was getting off easy.

I had a tooth extracted. Oh wait, let me rephrase: I had bits and pieces of a molar taken out over a two-hour surgical procedure. It's my fault, really, for not seeing a dentist in years. Yes, YEARS. That's inexcusable, especially when you take into consideration the fact that I have dental insurance.

If you've been reading this blog, you would know that I'm into contact sports, martial arts, and combatives. My pain threshold is higher than most people's because of my training. But dental pain is a different animal altogether. A friend of mine once said that the worst things in life are unrequited love and toothache.

Moral of the story: Be mindful of your dental health! It's a big part of your overall well-being. Visit your dentist twice a year. Remember, when you don't see your dentist regularly, you're only increasing the chances of making your next visit painful. My tooth could have either been saved or extracted in a significantly less painful way if I had not delayed the trip to Ate Paula's clinic. I've learned my lesson: I've already marked my calendar for my next check-up. :)

SHAMELESS PLUG: If you live in Malabon, Navotas, Valenzuela, Caloocan, and other neighboring cities/towns and you're looking for a dentist, go see my cousin-in-law, Dr. Paula Camille Roque. Her clinic is in Maysilo, Malabon, right across the Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish. I'm biased for her not because she's my cousin's wife, but because she's passionate about what she does. And not to be sexist or anything, but I prefer female dentists (sorry guys), because male ones tend to be heavy-handed.

She's not the type who would sell you things you don't need just to make a quick buck. In fact, she thinks of the most cost-effective and least painful ways to address her patients' dental woes. :) Call her at (02) 521.4727 to set your appointment. Her clinic hours are from 8am to 5pm, Mondays to Saturdays. And oh - she has two rowdy little boys, so yeah, she's pretty good with kid patients, too. :)

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)