blog

LT / Philosophy light

12:00:00 AM

The very first Paulo Coelho novel that I read was "The Alchemist" - I borrowed my cousin Rocel's copy. We were in high school at the time, and I remember that I liked it very much. I found that particular book thought-provoking and inspiring. And so I read more of his works: By The River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept, Veronika Decides to Die, The Pilgrimage, The Fifth Mountain, The Valkyies, and Eleven Minutes.

(Segue: I guess this goes to show that my fascination for all things Brazilian started way before my Latin music adventure and my jiu-jitsu journey. Haha!)
Sir
(photo from the internet)
With each book I read (except for Eleven Minutes, which I think was brilliant), I liked the author a little less. I don't mind whimsical literature - I do love One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez - but Coelho's work is too... easy - especially after I read The Unbearable Lightness of Being. For me, the mark of a good philosophical novel is that it makes you think critically. And his work has stopped doing that for me, because everything is so chewed down.

Do not misinterpret me - I am NOT saying that Coelho's novels are no good, because they are. Maybe I'm too old, or maybe I've already read way too much, or maybe I expected too much from the celebrated author. But my friends Ralph and Jonar agree with me on this - his work is "philosophy light." You no longer have to dissect arguments, because he does that for you.

But to be perfectly fair, the messages are there. And to the person who's soul-searching, a Paulo Coelho novel is actually a pretty good companion.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)