blog

MW / Damn, Jaco

12:00:00 AM

I first got introduced to Weather Report's music when I was in my junior year in college. I was managing Familiar at the time, and Mathew gave me a copy of their album, The Legendary Live Tapes 1978-1981. Three songs - A Remark You Made, Black Market, and Birdland - became my ultimate study time companions (instrumental music help you concentrate!).
Superband
(photo from the internet)
For a while, I toyed with the idea of learning to play bass, so I would try to isolate the bass line whenever I would listen to new music. In a lot of songs, the bass just gets drowned out by guitars, and I hate that. But in the music of Weather Report, every instrument is powerful, and the bass just absolutely stands out.


Jaco Pastorius is their bassist. Outside of Weather Report, he collaborated with the likes of Joni Mitchell and Pat Metheny. He makes the fretless bass sing with his lyrical soloing and his signature Latin-influenced funk. In 1988, he became one of the seven bassists to be inducted to the Down Beat Jazz Hall of Fame.
The man
He passed away in 1987 - a real tragedy. To this day, I don't think there's another bassist who can match his talent. It's a good thing a lot of his live performances were recorded - his music never gets old.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)