blog

MW / The RZA

12:00:00 AM

I was in high school when Quentin Tarantino's cult classic Kill Bill was released. Confession: I didn't see it in a movie theater. Worse confession: I bought a pirated (bootleg) copy. I lived in the province then, and at the time, there weren't any malls or movie houses near where we lived. So yeah, I watched a really bad camcorder copy of this awesome film. You could tell it was recorded from the movie theater. As the opening credits rolled, the audiences started to clap when this was flashed onscreen:
Music royalty
(captured from the opening credits of Kill Bill Vol. 1)
I was never big on hip-hop, so I had no idea who he was, and I didn't really care back then. Given that the film had a lot of Japanese cultural themes and actors, I assumed that The RZA was some sort of Japanese orchestra. I recently re-watched the movie, and I got really curious about The RZA so I Googled him. Imagine my surprise when I learned that he's the de facto leader of the Wu-Tang Clan!

Back to Kill Bill - I loved the whole movie, score included. The alarm-ish sound when Uma's character encounters someone who did her wrong stuck with me - when an evil driver refuses to yield to pedestrians, that sound plays in my head. Haha! And these days, when I'm training in knife or sticks, my sequences are accompanied by The RZA's score - in my head. :)

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)