blog

I will not sit idly by

12:00:00 AM

Back in college, I had a Holocaust obsession phase, which lasted for about a year. It started with a book (yeah, I'm a geek) - Elie Wiesel's NIGHT - which was a required reading for our Philosophy class. After I put that book down, I felt depressed for a few days, but I (stupidly) kept reading about the subject anyway. I read Anne Frank, Viktor Frankl, and a lot of articles and textbooks I could find. I also watched Schindler's List and Life is Beautiful.

Even after everything I've read, I still couldn't understand the cruelty, that level of inhumanity of man to his fellow man. To this day, it breaks my heart when I think about it.

Boxer Manny Pacquiao recently came under fire for his controversial comments about the LGBT community. I get that his religion considers homosexuality a sin, and that he is entitled to his beliefs. At the height of that issue, the nation was divided. That wasn't the first time, though - LGBT equality is a big issue here (as in other parts of the world), and every time I hear about an attack against them, Hitler's Holocaust comes to mind, and it scares me.
I am with you, my friends.
(image from the internet)
You may say that my fear is irrational, because the world won't let such a horrible thing happen again, and all I can say to that is this: the Holocaust didn't happen overnight. It started with propaganda, a war of words. And more than Hitler, himself, what ensured the doom of all those Jewish people is that no one stood up for them.

This fear is what prompted me to publicly declare my support for the LGBT community. I'm not a public figure or anything, but I do have a voice and I'm going to use it. I will not sit idly by as my gay friends are told that they cannot enjoy the same rights and the same freedoms that I enjoy as a straight woman.

Again, I get it - it's his belief and he is entitled to it.

Entitled - I've grown to dislike that word. It's essentially an excuse and a refusal to take responsibility. At work, it's your reason to not do tasks that you consider "menial," because you're too good for it. In the context of freedom, we are all entitled to choose our religion, to think our own thoughts and to speak our own minds. This causes a problem when, in our entitlement, we express our opinions without any effort to understand what it's like on the other side.

I grew up Catholic, and to this day, I choose to be one. I believe in the Church, and I don't see myself giving up the faith for as long as I live. But I am a human being before I am Catholic. My gay friends are human beings before they are gay. We are all human beings. And to me, our humanity should supersede any and all religions, beliefs, and titles.

We are all children of the same God no matter what you call him or her, and religion does not make anyone more deserving than his or her neighbor of rights, freedoms, happiness, and salvation. In the greater context of humanity, we have the right to those things on the same level. We all deserve happiness - on our own, with our friends and family, and with the partners we choose, regardless of gender.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)