life

Simple wisdom

8:00:00 AM

With the help of my mentor, Dr. Sixto Carlos, and my best friend, Joandrea, I started on a journey that has changed and continues to change my life in the most amazing ways. They got me started on reading books and listening to podcasts that helped me adopt two mindsets: gratitude and growth, and while my life remains far from perfect, it has been unbelievably wonderful since.

I was influenced by Joandrea to follow Lewis Howes’s The School of Greatness on Instagram. In November, he shared a snippet of his podcast interview with Joshua Fields Millburn, one half of “The Minimalists.” Through his work with Ryan Nicodemus, he has helped millions of people all over the world “live more meaningful lives with less” (copied that bit from their website, www.theminimalists.com). 
Joshua Fields Millburn
(photo borrowed from Lewis Howes' The School of Greatness)
The interview snippet was barely a minute long, but it blew my mind! Lewis asked Joshua for the “Best Three Truths” he’d like to pass on and be remembered by. His answer:

1. Let it go, it’s just stuff.
2. You can’t change the people around you, but you can change the people around you.
3. Love people and use things, because the opposite never works.

Lewis said that those were the best three truths he’s heard in a long time, and I agree with him. They’re basic, but they hit home. 

#1 was fairly easy for me, but I will admit that I struggled a little when it came to my books. But I managed to let them go already, and I’m making the big switch to Kindle. I wrote about how I valued my mobility - the freedom that comes from breaking off the literal and proverbial shackles of having too many possessions. Everything I own would easily fit two boxes - I don’t have much in the material sense, but I feel all the richer for it.

#2 took me a while. I was always a control freak who always wanted things done a certain way. Time taught me to accept people as they are. While I could always try to influence them for the better, I’ve come to realise that my definition of “better” could be different from theirs, and thus I shouldn’t force the issue. There will always be people we don’t agree with - that doesn’t mean they’re bad, it only means they’re different - and we shouldn’t try to change them. There are billions of other people in the world - that makes it certain that we will find people whose energy matches ours (energy doesn’t lie). 

#3 is just downright beautiful. It’s not the first time I heard it, but the reminder was welcome. We should never interchange what we love and what we use. But I’d like to tweak it a little: if at all we need to “love” things, that’s fine, but when it comes to people, we must always remember that they are not meant for “use.” I think we can love things AND people, and that’s okay, too - but of course there must be a premium on people. And when we do love things, we mustn’t put them on a pedestal - we should love them for the value that they add to our lives.

I hope these bits of wisdom would mean something to you this New Year. Cheers!

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)