life

A song for comfort

12:00:00 AM

After my mother passed away in 2010, I found myself listening on repeat to "Paglisan," a song by Filipino band Color It Red. It's an absolutely beautiful song - I've loved it since the 90s when it first came out, and I love it to this day. And every time I learn of a friend losing a loved one, I find my heart singing this song out to him or her - but I don't actually sing the song to anyone in person, because that might be weird. Haha!

I don't play the guitar anymore (not that I ever actually got far in the first place, haha!), so while I was in Dumaguete last November, I enlisted the help of Nowell so I could cover the song. He learned to play it overnight, yay!
Guitar Man
We had about four rounds of practice before we tried recording. I was really close to changing my mind (backing out) because my voice just kept cracking up. I kept thinking about my mother, and I could feel a lump in my throat. Our first couple of attempts were in Enting's house (a.k.a. Belltower HQ), and the motorcycles passing were distracting.
Location 1: Belltower HQ
So we decided to move to Silliman Beach. It didn't really help much in terms of sound quality - the sound of mufflers were replaced by the sound of the wind and waves - but it did calm me down enough to finish recording the song without crying. Here's the video:


This goes out to anyone who's ever lost a loved one, and I hope it comforts you as much as it comforts me.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)