adventures

Best. Hostel. Ever!

12:00:00 AM

I’m the type who scrimps on accommodations when I travel - my thinking is that I’ll be spending most of my time outdoors anyway, so I don’t need to cough up more dough on a place to get some shuteye and a shower. I’ve been all over Mindanao with Hannah in 2015 and we got to do so much with our money because she chose the cheap but good places - she got help from our Selecta Sales Team.
Come right in!
Home
Upstairs hallway
For Dumaguete, I have a new go-to place: Flying Fish. It’s along Hibbard Avenue in Brgy. Bantayan, Dumaguete City. They’re still in soft opening as of writing, but they’re doing really great! My friend Natalie mentioned the place to me when we were chatting about one of my upcoming trips - she said it was new and it was nice, and so I figured I’d book a bed. At Php425/night in the mixed dorm, it was within budget albeit a little higher than what I used to pay when I’m in town. They have private rooms, too, but I didn't bother to ask how much.
View of the garden from upstairs
It was worth the price difference, though - Flying Fish is by far the best hostel I’ve ever stayed in locally! It’s so rustic and cozy. The beds are new, so the mattresses don’t stink at all! And I appreciate that the sheets have a higher thread count than that of most other hostels I’ve been to - it’s certainly more comfortable. And as a bonus, most beds have a space allowance after the mattress, and that’s where I put my night time book and journal (yes, I travel with a journal). 
Cozy reading and writing nook
I always take the bottom bunk. 
From my first stay
They even built lockers under the bunks, and they provide you with a lock so you don’t have to worry about securing your things. The rooms are not cramped; there’s enough space for us to actually move around even when big backpacks are on the floor. And of course, there’s reliable air conditioning in all rooms. I love their showers and toilets, too - very cute double doors! Plus the lavatories are very open - you can literally look at the trees while brushing your teeth. 

I love their staff, too - really nice and very helpful. They have the numbers of bus and ferry operators, so they help the guests out by calling them up to get updates on trip schedules. They also know the city and the neighbouring towns very well, so it’s good to ask them for advice on what to do, where to go, what to eat. 

When I come back in May, I’ll be staying in my apartment already - I know I will miss staying in Flying Fish! I’ve met a lot of awesome people here. But I guess I can spend a night or two here when I feel like meeting people. Haha!

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)