creativity

Different hats

12:00:00 AM

My 2016 Dumaguete-Siquijor holiday was unplanned, so I was forced to suddenly think of what tattoos to get. Because, you know, tradition! I was saving the Mt. Talinis outline for when I finally conquer the peak, so I didn’t want to get that yet. I was also saving the music-inspired ink for after the voice lessons I’m taking this May. And as I was about to board my flight to Cebu, it hit me: hats!

I don’t actually wear real hats - all I own is one Nike Golf cap, which was a gift from Solane, a former client that I handled during my time in Publicis Manila. But I do wear different proverbial hats. When people ask me what I do, my first answer would be “writer,” since it’s really the job that takes up most of my waking hours. But I do have other projects, or “rackets,” as I call them: I sing at weddings and other occasions, I organise events, I sell stuff, I broker deals, I’m a marketing consultant for micro and small businesses, and I manage social media pages.

Although I still have a lot of books to cross off my list, I already have read an above average number of titles. There are standouts, which have greatly influenced how I think and how I live. So I thought about the hats of literature, and I zeroed in on five. 
So much happiness! Karla is AWESOME
First is the Sorting Hat from the Harry Potter series (yup, I belong to that fandom). The Sorting Hat reads people - it sees potential and character - and puts them where they could be great. But it also listens: Harry could also be a good fit for Slytherin, but because he wanted to be in Gryffindor, that’s where the Hat put him. Maybe I’m over-reading it, but I consider the Sorting Hat a reminder for when to push and when to yield when it comes to people. 

Second is Sherlock Holmes’s hat. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s fictional detective is a character I see a bit of myself in: he’s tough on the outside, but he loved his friend Dr. Watson dearly. I’ve been told that I intimidate people I meet for the first time, and I’m aware that I can be quite testy. But if and when I do decide to let my guard down for someone, I love him or her fiercely.

Third is the Hatter’s hat from Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. This would be my second tattoo homage to that piece of literature, the first being the words “Curiouser and Curiouser” on my upper back. I am a little bit crazy, just like the Hatter. But Alice assures him that the “all the best ones are.” 

Fourth is the bowler hat from Milan Kundera’s The Unbearable of Lightness of Being. It was a symbol of Sabina’s rebellion, which is something I identified with deeply when I first read the book as a college sophomore. It also signified how she embraced her sexuality, and her story liberated me, too. 

The last one is not a hat, but the grown-ups with no imagination thought it was. From Antoine de Saint Exupery’s The Little Prince, the young one drew an elephant swallowed whole by a boa constrictor. It’s a great reminder to always look at things from the eyes of a child, or from a different perspective in the least - because not everything is what they seem.

isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)