wellness

I’m Wolverine

12:00:00 AM

Okay, obviously I’m not Wolverine, but I like to joke that I am whenever I get a comment on how quickly I heal. My dentist Ate Paula, who’s also my cousin, by the way, was so surprised that the incision from the tooth extraction she performed on me closed overnight. My surgeon, who sliced my wrist open recently to take out a cyst, was also surprised that the wound dried up fast. So when they comment on how fast I heal, I’d just respond by saying that I’m actually Wolverine. BOOM!

Sadly, though, I don’t recover as fast when it comes to joint-related injuries sustained from jiu-jitsu training. I mean, I still heal faster than the average person - most athletes or people with active lifestyles do - but not as quickly as I would like (because I hate being sidelined). My wrist is particularly vulnerable. I don’t know how accurate my assumption is, but I’m guessing that one possible reason for that is they’re very small relative to my frame and my legs. So when I punch in boxing - with power coming from my big, round, strong legs - they absorb the impact. And when I do my inverted yoga poses, they bear my full weight.
Mahilig mag-headstand si Tita
Laughing off the injury helps... A bit.
(photo by Dan Alvarez)
Other weak points are my left foot (which I injured in training after I landed on it while it’s bent, following a takedown from one of my teammates) and my right arm (which I popped during my match in Artesuave Manila because I got caught in an armbar). On top of the gravity of the injuries, it didn’t really help that I couldn’t give those body parts the rest they need to fully recover - I walk a lot, and I rely on my arms for my chores (lifting groceries, doing laundry, and so on). 

But I don't really subscribe to the belief that you’re supposed to just sit and be a sloth while you wait for injuries to heal. There’s a way to stay active and heal at the same time. My orthopaedic surgeon, Dr. Orson Odullo, said it best - your body will tell you when to stop. So after the foot injury, I kept training (because that was a week before Artesuave Manila, haha!) but I was careful not to apply too much pressure on it. And I stopped when I felt sharp pain, because I didn’t want to aggravate it.
Good stuff. Thanks for the tip, Franco!
I also started taking Turmicap - it’s a new brand of pure turmeric. There’s hardly any turmeric in my diet because I don’t eat curry (the main source of turmeric), so the supplement came in handy. My friend Franco recommended it to me when I asked him if I should take whey or BCAA to help me recover faster from the usual post-training mini-injuries. He told me to take Turmicap instead, and I’m glad I listened - because when I Googled the benefits of turmeric, I loved what I read!

I’m usually very skeptical with vitamins and supplements, but I figured that since Turmicap is all natural, there was no harm in giving it a try. I read online that it helps a lot with arthritis. To be clear, I do not suffer from arthritis - but my injuries are mostly in the joints, anyway, so that makes turmeric a good supplement for me. I told myself I’d give it a try for a month, but I ended up taking it regularly thereafter. I even bought two bottles at Artesuave Manila (they sold it at discounted prices there, haha!) just to be sure I wouldn’t run out anytime soon.

The benefits go beyond my joints - I’ve found that doubling my daily dose of turmeric helps me get rid of the sniffles faster! I usually take just two, but when I feel sick (or when I feel that I’m about to get sick), I take four daily. Again, it’s 100% natural so it won’t hurt my liver or kidneys like other vitamin or mineral supplements would at big doses.

Try it out if you’re a candidate for Alzheimer’s or heart disease, or if you’re injury-prone like me! You can order online via Facebook - for my first order, I just messaged them there and they replied pretty fast. :)


isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)