life

A tribute

12:00:00 AM

When I lost my mother way back 2010, I didn’t have a hard time bouncing back. I don’t want to sound pompous or anything - there were a lot of factors that contributed to that. I love her more than life itself and her death remains the single most painful experience I have ever had to go through so far. But I had time to get ready for the worst - in fact, my mother prepared me for it with reassurance that strength is in the very fiber of Mendoza women. 

Luckily for me, I didn’t have to rely on my own strength; I had people who helped me pull through. One of them was Miss M. She was my boss during my SMX stint. I wrote about her before, actually - she was my first real mentor at work and she changed my life in a big way.
Awesome phone cameras weren't a thing yet at the time, so I don't really have a lot of pics with her.
MM
She took me under her wing at a time when I was still young, foolishly headstrong, and extremely abrasive. I’d get into fights with people in the office and she would always defend me. She groomed me - physically (she gave me some of her old office clothes because I couldn’t afford better ones), mentally (she let me figure things out on my own for the most part), and emotionally (she helped me grow up/mellow down). 

And when my mother passed away, she stepped in. Within office hours and during the ride home, she reminded me of what it was like to still have the love, comfort, and protection of my mother. 

Miss M passed away last February, and I was unable to pay my respects because I wasn’t in Manila at the time of her funeral. Writing is my way of processing things, and it took me a while to pen this mainly because I was still hoping that it’s not true. We may not have kept in touch much since I left SMX, but she’s dear to me and I will forever be grateful to her.

She singled me out for my writing, setting in motion the path that eventually led me to where I am now. She saw through my tough facade and nurtured what was then mere potential. 

Thank you, Miss M, for everything. Please say hi to my Mom for me when you see her up there.


isawisay

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Hello, reader! Thank you for wasting your time reading my blog. I do hope you enjoyed whatever you stumbled upon. :)